Monday 24 November 2014

Day 6

Our bedroom has floor to ceiling windows - all the better to see the rain trickling down as we wake up this morning! After the adventure of the canopy tour yesterday we are chilled about doing anything exciting today so we laze around and wait for the rain to ease off before embarking on a walking tour of PE. That's Port Elizabeth to the uninitiated.
Bearing in mind their history only goes back 200 years and most of the interesting buildings have been demolished for high rise flats, it's a pretty un-spectacular tour so no photos. However, we did dig up a little gem along the way and found the grave of James Langley Dalton .. ..A Brit who won a Victoria Cross at Rourkes Drift (he was 46 at the time) and just happened to die here whilst on holiday visiting a friend - so they just laid him to rest here in a most inauspicious place where Methodists, Jews, Anglicans and Roman Catholics all share the same turf.   (Dave likes to include an interesting fact so I'm obliging)



The sun finally shines so we head for a beach bar and a large glass of chilled white before a long walk back to the hotel to sit and read by the hotel pool. Holidays don't get much harder than this!!
Will leave DS to finish off so this is your PE Correspondent is signing off.......

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I'm not sure wether you get my comments. I think they worked in the first days and then I discovered I could follow your blog by i phone much easier. But it appears it dosent post comments very well so you may have missed out on my 'tones' for the last few days! Love the daily update though, especially the Whales and the treetops and Corals story of the VC winner. Continue to enjoy. I'll sign of at this point as I'm off on my travels myself, but to much much colder climates. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that your Russia trip? Enjoy,
      Yes I've Benin getting your comments - keep 'em coming

      Delete
  2. Great. Yes, Moscow here we come. Gulp... See you next week.

    ReplyDelete